Thursday, September 17, 2009

Share and share alike.. especially when it comes to germs


Big Ben
Originally uploaded by awolice89
How naiive of me to think that if I loaded up on vitamin C and sleep and an-apple-a-day and Cold-Eeze and follow all my mom's advice, it would actually work and I'd avoid catching the FIE sickness that's running rampant on all 3 of our housing developments.

It's 12:44pm on a pretty decent day here in London - one of my prized 4day-weekends which will only last for so long - and I'm lying in bed listening to a philly radio station online and staring at the wall. I don't think I have a fever (yet) but my throat is burning and I have an obnoxious cough that likes to flare up every now and then. I haven't started pitying myself enough to whine that "I want to go homeeee" but I do wish I had a better selection of soup here... and a nice mug full of Swiss Miss would be great, too.

Yesterday was pretty awesome though - for my SIS class, we went to Wembley (hopefully where I'll be going in a few days to see a certain CONCERT with a certain BAND). Anywho, my professor told us we were going to a London borough that had a large Indian population.. little did I know it would literally be like stepping into a city in India itself. It was absolutely amazing.. all of the shops were Indian, the entire area smelled of curries and masala and simosas and the PRICES -- aahh I'm tempted to go down there and buy some fresh fruits and vegetables at their shops.. they're probably 1/3 of the price we pay even at the discount racks at Sainsbury's here in Kensington. We went to a temple and saw their preparations for their upcoming festival this weekend, and then we ambushed a poor woman at the local library where all of the books were written in different languages and scripts.

To top it off - and every class should really end this way - we went to a nearby vegetarian Indian restaurant and had a free meal... I'd love to sound cultured and describe what it was that we ate, but I have NO clue what it was.. they handed us several courses and the main one looked like a massive crepe with potatos and spices - DELICIOUS. and their dessert was ice cream and some fried doughnut sort of thing that tasted so sweet...ahhh, SO GOOD. i'm already looking forward to my leftovers in the fridge (finally! a place where i didn't have to feel awkward asking for a bag to take home leftovers!)

Tomorrow - provided I'm feeling well enough (which, I have a very low standard for how healthy I need to feel to embark on a FREE trip) - I'm going to Bath & STONEHENGE! I'm so excited - particularly because I've always had this secret life-list and one of the things on my list of places I need to see has always been Stonehenge.. (the Eiffel Tower is on there too, but that'll have to wait until next week).

I really want to go to Brighton before it gets too cold - it would be nice to see something resembling a beach, just in case I can't afford to go to Malaga, Spain this semester :(

No comments:

Post a Comment